Monday, July 18, 2011

How I Dislocated my Shoulder Fencing

Finally, the day has come to be able to walk around without my dreaded arm sling. In honor of this moment, and because Don Gosney wants to know I’m going to tell the story of how I re-dislocated my arm while simply fencing.

It all started last week on Tuesday when I made one of many bad choices that led up to my injury. The first occurred early that morning when I decided to play Kickball out of a pool of at least 5 other safer activities to do during our recreational period. I couldn’t wait for the game for the game to start, and when it began I wanted to play a pivotal position that influenced the game. “What could be better than the outfield,” I thought because I’d be able to directly make outs by catching the ball. I totally ignored the fact I’d have to throw the ball in especially in crisis, so when I dropped what was usually an easy catch, I just thought I’d throw it back in like any other kid, but as soon as I let the ball ago I was reminded that I as indeed definitely different from the others. I wrenched my shoulder, feeling all the ligaments straining to hold my shoulder in place. The pain gripped my shoulder as I knelt down thinking about how lucky I was to still have my shoulder in its socket. I made another great decision to continue playing. I had been lucky this time, but I wasn’t sure what would happen in the future I realized I wasn’t unbreakable anymore.

The next day in my ArĂȘte class was the last place I’d thought I’d ever be injured. Fencing is the world’s second safest sport and that day was the first in which we were to actually fence. I was feeling pumped and ready as we put on our assortment of gear. As I faced my appointment, I had no idea about the events that were going to take place. After my opponent took the lead 4-3, the pressure on me to comeback was beginning to grow. On guard! Ready! Fence! We began our battle, the match was fierce we were attacking and parrying constantly. Then finally while was backing up from an attack, I noticed my opponent was getting ready for a chop, but I had to time it perfectly otherwise he would be able to fake the hit leaving me vulnerable elsewhere. At the last possible moment I shot my arm into position. What was this though? Another intense feeling of pain, the sound of my ligament not being able to hold my shoulder, I had dislocated my shoulder fencing. My body immediately went into shock causing me to fall to the ground, and in my conscious mind I didn’t believe what happened until I tried to move my arm. The pain was then unbearable. Recollecting these moments still send shockwaves through my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment